Katie Taylor wants to fight Delfine Persoon again next summer and deliver a performance that will “shut everyone up” as she continues in her aim to be known as “the best ever”.
Taylor became the undisputed lightweight champion in June when she beat Belgium’s Persoon at Madison Square Garden, claiming the WBC belt to add to the WBA, IBF and WBO ones already in her possession.
The 33-year-old Irishwoman won via a majority decision with the scores 95-95, 96-94 and 96-94, and there was some controversy surrounding the result.
Some observers questioned the decision and Persoon were quoted in the Belgian media as saying she felt she had not lost and would be making a complaint.
Taylor will bid to become a two-weight world champion on November 2 when she faces WBO super-lightweight title-holder Christina Linardatou in Manchester and hopes to follow that next year with a return to lightweight – where she says there is “a lot of unfinished business” – to face Puerto Rico’s Amanda Serrano and then Persoon.
Taylor told the PA news agency: “First I have to overcome Christina Linardatou, and once I do that I hope to have Amanda Serrano next and then the Persoon rematch in the summer sometime. That would be my ideal path.
“It (the Persoon fight) was a touch-and-go fight, an all-out war really for 10 rounds, probably one of the most exciting fights I’ve ever been involved in, probably a bit too exciting for my liking!
“It’s every fighter’s dream to become the undisputed champion, that is the pinnacle of the sport right there, so I was very, very excited.
“To call the fight a robbery is an absolute disgrace in itself really. I am well aware it was a very close fight and that is why it is a fight that deserves a rematch as well.
“I’m not one for ducking or diving any challenge, I think my career has shown that so far. I love the big fights and I can’t wait for that rematch, to kind of set the story straight really.
“I look forward to beating her a lot more convincingly, to shut everyone up basically!