Here is your Chelsea morning digest for Saturday, July 3.
Gilmour relishing Norwich loan
The Scotland international, who turned 20-years-old last month, has joined the Canaries on loan for the duration of the 2021/22 campaign, meaning it will provide him with the opportunity to gain regular first-team football in the Premier League.
Expressing his delight at getting the deal over the line, Gilmour said: “I’m very excited to be here. I can’t wait for the season ahead.
“I’ve been looking forward to coming here, playing as much as possible and helping Norwich City compete in the Premier League.
“I spoke to the head coach [Daniel Farke] here. He called me and we had a nice talk about how he wants to play and how he sees me fitting in. Everything he said was what I want to do on the pitch, get the ball down and play nice football.”
Next transfer decision revealed
Following Gilmour’s loan move to Carrow Road, it should not come as too great a surprise to any Chelsea fan if the Blues are soon drafting in a new central-midfielder.
That is because, last season, head coach Thomas Tuchel admitted how important it was for him to have four central-midfielders available to him.
Although the German currently has N’Golo Kante, Mateo Kovacic, Tiemoue Bakayoko and Jorginho available to him to operate in the defensive-midfield positions, Bakayoko is likely to leave this summer, meaning signing a replacement could soon become a top priority.
Speaking earlier this year, the Blues boss, discussing Gilmour’s chances of breaking into the first-team more regularly, said: “He has three big problems – N’Golo Kante, Mateo Kovacic and Jorginho are three big problems. They are never injured and they perform on a level in central midfield that is not easy to compete with.
“This is the only thing. This is the situation. Nothing has changed. I am super happy he is here. We need four strong midfielders.”
To read the full story, click here.
Blues join Calvert-Lewin race
According to reports in the national media, Chelsea have joined London rivals Arsenal in paying close attention to Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
Get the latest Chelsea transfer news straight to your inbox
The summer window is officially open and now the Blues can look to build on European glory and bolster the squad to push for Premier League supremacy.
By signing up to the Chelsea newsletter here, you’ll be receiving the latest news and rumours directly, as well as exclusive articles and content from club writers Sam Inkersole and Adam Newson, all for free!
And if you want to take part in the debate in the comments and join in with the Q&As to get your questions answered, create an account here, because we want to hear from you too.
The Blues are desperate to land a striker this summer and it is claimed that Tuchel has asked Blues director Marina Granovskaia to consider looking at alternative options to Borussia Dortmund sensation Erling Haaland.
It is claimed that Tuchel is growing frustrated with the lack of pace Chelsea are going at in their pursuit of the Norway international and is now keeping his options open.
Calvert-Lewin was impressive during the 2020/21 campaign, netting 21 goals in 39 appearances in all competitions.