Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has delivered an update on the Spanish giants’ pursuit of Kylian Mbappe amid Chelsea’s interest.
The Frenchman, who has been with Paris Saint-Germain since his big-money move in 2017, has been linked with a move away for some time, with his contract due to expire next summer.
La Liga side Real Madrid have emerged as the most likely candidates for his services, although the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool have also been mentioned as potential destinations.
Mbappe himself previously admitted his desire to leave the French capital and now his destination appears to be the only aspect to be decided.
However, president of Real, Perez, has backtracked on comments that a deal could already potentially be in place for the forward.
Initially talking to El Debate, he said: “We hope that on January 1 everything can be solved.”
Those comments were certainly intriguing, with some believing that a deal to take Mbappe to the Santiago Bernabeu could already be in place, with just the opening of the transfer window needed to officially confirm the move.
However, Perez has since backtracked on those comments and insisted that no such move has been made and instead a move could only be done next year.
Talking to RMCSport, he said: “My words about Mbappé have been misinterpreted. What I said is that we have to wait until next year to have news – always with respect to PSG with whom we have good relations.”
Since arriving at the Parc des Princes, Mbappe has scored 136 goals and claimed three league titles with PSG, as well as another with former club Monaco.
The 22-year-old also played a key role in France’s 2018 World Cup win in Russia.