The Brazilian sustained the problem during the club’s training camp in Surrey last week and returned home from his duties, missing Saturday’s friendly defeat against QPR.
Solskjaer initially said Telles would be ‘out for a few weeks’ but the United manager has since given a disappointing update, revealing he is now set to miss the first three games of the Premier League season in August.
Man United left back Alex Telles has been ruled out until September with an ankle injury
Solskjaer told United’s official website: ‘Unfortunately, it’s worse news on Alex Telles than we hoped for.
‘His ankle injury is a little bit more severe than we hoped and he’ll be out for a little spell at least, the whole of August I would think.’
As well as missing this week’s friendlies against Brentford and Preston, before another warm-up match against Everton, Telles will sit out United’s Premier League opener against Leeds on August 14, their visit to Southampton eight days later, and their trip to Wolves at the end of the month.
Telles’ injury has given United a problem in the left back department with Luke Shaw not yet back in training after his exploits with England at Euro 2020.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has a problem at left back during pre-season following Telles’ injury
Telles joined United just last summer in a £15.4million deal from Portuguese outfit Porto.
It was widely expected that he may usurp Shaw at left back but the England star emphatically proved his doubters wrong and has turned into one of United’s key players in recent time – keeping Telles out of the side.
After enduring limited game-time, Telles has been linked with a move away this summer, with the likes of Inter Milan and Roma interested in his services.