Manchester United fans have offered up a mixed response after the Premier League decided to continue fixtures amid rising Covid-19 cases.
As it has across wider society, the devastating pandemic continues to take hold of the sporting schedule and last week United saw operations at their Carrington training base temporarily shut down.
That led to games against Brentford and Brighton being postponed, due to player availability.
Six of the 10 matches across the Premier League suffered the same fate between Saturday and Sunday, while the 20 clubs are now gearing up for a typically action-packed Christmas and New Year period. United take on Newcastle and Burnley in their next two fixtures on December 27 and December 30.
Clubs have rejected the idea of suspending the season, after some floated the idea of a ‘firebreak’ to help ease the increased rate of infection prompted by the Omicron variant. Upon this decision to continue, Premier League clubs who have at least 14 first-team players (13 outfield players and one goalkeeper) available must fulfil obligations.
Here are a selection of comments from United supporters on Twitter as they reacted to the news:
@Budafoki said: “The FA cares about the money more than the players who earn the money for them.”
@MrRedDevil27 posted: “Hopefully [we will] see some Academy players feature in rotation.”
@Eric_Can_Tuna added: “We managed to cope last year without any disruption, so we should just reapply the same measures we had before. Problem solved.”
What do you think about the Premier League decision? Have your say in the comments section below.
@Red84Norm said: “I think we know why the festive games are going ahead…”
@TheUpperDeck posted: “Common sense prevails.”
@utd__Alex added: “The players are not robots, cancel the Premier League until the New Year.”