Here is your Chelsea morning digest on Wednesday, September 1.
Saul completes Blues move
Saul Niguez has completed a season-long loan move to Chelsea from Atletico Madrid.
The Blues confirmed after last night’s 11pm deadline that Saul will move to Stamford Bridge for the 2021/22 season.
There was some confusion late last night because of Atletico’s pursuit of Antoine Griezmann, but despite a late scare, Saul is now a Chelsea player.
Read the full story here.
Monchi reveals Kounde issue
Despite going into transfer deadline with the hope they could sign Jules Kounde, Chelsea pulled out of the deal due to Sevilla’s demands.
Kounde has been the Blues’ main defensive target over the last few weeks, but the Seville-based club wanted his £68million release clause to be triggered, something the west Londoners were not willing to do.
Sevilla’s sporting director Monchi spoke to the press earlier in the day and spoke about Chelsea’s pursuit of the France international.
“The only offer from Chelsea for Kounde was last Wednesday for an amount we didn’t like,” he said.
Read what more from Monchi here.
Barkley move collapses
Sign up to our Chelsea newsletter for all the latest news
Do you want all the latest news from around Chelsea Football Club straight to your email inbox?
Of course you do.
By signing up for our Chelsea newsletter, you will receive a twice-daily email, focused on all the latest news from Stamford Bridge.
And, not only that, but you will get exclusive content from our club writers Sam Inkersole and Adam Newson before anyone else.
You won’t miss a thing when it comes to the Blues.
How do you sign up?
It’s easy and only takes seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article – or any article on the Chelsea section of football.london in fact – labelled ‘Get the biggest daily stories by email’ and click ‘Subscribe’.
Alternatively, you can click here and tick the Chelsea box to subscribe for our Blues newsletter.
If you decide later that you no longer wish to receive the emails, simply follow the unsubscribe link in one of the newsletters – but we don’t think you’ll want to.
A report earlier in the day from the Express claimed that the Clarets were interested in making a late move for the former Everton midfielder, but his wages – said to be around £100,000-a-week – were proving an issue for the Premier League club.
Barkley has just less than two years remaining on his contract at the Blues, but will be in west London until January at least after missing last night’s deadline.