Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has again suggested that Manchester United will not make any further signings before next week’s deadline.
After carrying out last-minute shopping sprees in recent windows, the Red Devils were adamant they would get the majority of their business completed early.
And they’ve done just that, having already signed Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund and Raphael Varane from Real Madrid.
Despite only strengthening in two areas, Solskjaer has hinted they have already upgraded in the only positions they saw a need to do so.
And speaking to Norwegian journalists, the United boss has once again claimed any new arrivals from this point would simply be an added bonus.
“I don’t think much is going to happen. If something happens, it is a bonus. You never know what happens in the world of football,” he told VGTV.
“But we’ve had a very good window. I am happy with what we’ve done”.
That’s likely to disappoint some United fans, who believe a new central midfielder is still required in order to mount a serious title tilt this season.
Solskjaer has used Scott McTominay, Fred and Nemanja Matic in the opening two weeks of the season, with many thinking an upgrade is still needed.
Bruno Fernandes reportedly shares that opinion, with the Sun previously reporting that he made it clear a defensive midfielder was required.
The Portuguese is in the process of agreeing a bumper new deal at Old Trafford, but was said to have questioned club bosses about their plans in the market.
According to the report, Fernandes felt a new deep-lying midfielder would allow him to focus even more of his energy in the final-third.
Declan Rice has been the player most often linked with a move to Manchester United and he would seemingly fit the bill perfectly.
The West Ham midfielder is reported to have turned down several contract offers from the Hammers and is open to moving to a Champions League team.
His current side have placed a £100m valuation on his head, with the England international feeling that is limiting his chances of a transfer.
United legend Gary Neville claimed that while Rice would get in all but one Premier League side, the current asking price was too steep.
“I’ve always liked him. I’ve got no problem with Declan Rice at all,” he explained on Monday Night Football. “The question is, 80 or 100 million pounds, would you spend that level of money on him?”
Asked what he would pay for the midfielder, Neville added: “50, 60 million. “£100m I’d say probably not, but as a midfield player with Soucek, it’s an outstanding pair that.”
“You’d want them in your midfield,” he continued. “Apart from Manchester City, they could go and play in any midfield.”