The Football Association will discover on Monday whether they will be hit with a stadium ban for the chaotic scenes that marred the Euro 2020 final.
Barely 24 hours after the latest violent episode to have taken place at Wembley as Hungarian supporters attacked police and security staff during the World Cup qualifier against England on Tuesday night, it can be revealed that the FA are set to discover at the start of next week their punishment for the supporter frenzy that overshadowed the Euros showpiece on July 11.
The UEFA hearing into the matter is scheduled for this Monday with a decision on the punishment expected the same day. An official announcement on the sanctions will be made on Tuesday at the latest.
The FA are fearing the prospect of England playing at least one UEFA match with a stadium ban
Thousands of ticketless fans broke into Wembley for the England vs Italy Euro 2020 final in July
Security barriers were compromised after a surge of thugs broke into the national stadium
Gareth Southgate’s (right) Three Lions lost on pens as the final ended 1-1 following extra time
Sportsmail revealed last month that the FA requested a personal hearing to fight the prospect of a stadium ban.
Indeed, there is a feeling within the organisation that they will be forced to play at least one match behind-closed-doors.
The FA has stressed to UEFA that they were kept fully updated with the policing and security measures in place for the final between England and Italy in hope of minimising their punishment.
Police imposed an unprecedented operation for the clash between England and Italy, but that wasn’t enough to prevent the disgraceful behaviour of thousands of ticketless supporters.
The families of England players were forced to escape from yobs who infiltrated their way inside the stadium, while others were victims of attempted ticket thefts and lawless queues at various entrance points.
An estimated 250,000 fans were on the peripheries of the stadium ahead of kick-off, with thousands of revellers participating in anti-social behaviour – including drug taking and urinating in public.
Fans stormed England’s home stadium as they trespassed Wembley to watch their team play
Ticketless England fans managed to breach security checks before sitting inside Wembley
At one point, three ticketless thugs entered for every one full-paying supporter. Witnesses told of drug-dealing, drug consumption, drunken and aggressive behaviour in the capital that night
Any stadium ban would be applicable for the next round of UEFA international fixtures, which are scheduled to take place in June – the start of the Nations League.
The prospect of England playing in front of a locked stadium arrives as Wembley was at the centre of further violent scenes during the clash between England and Hungary.
Police said they had made six arrests – three in the stadium and three outside – as Hungarian thugs clashed with police and staff during the game.
FIFA have confirmed they are investigating the shocking scenes, whilst condemning the incident.
The Hungarian Football Association are currently facing the prospect of having to play five matches behind closed doors due to the behaviour of their fans – including racially abusing England players in Budapest last month.
FIFA are investigating the violent crowd trouble that marred England vs Hungary on Tuesday
Riot police attempted to push back Hungary fans who were climbing over seats at Wembley
Some Hungarian fans could be seen throwing punches at police officers, who hit back
Meanwhile, FIFA have confirmed they have dropped their investigation into accusations Poland defender Kamil Glik racially abused Kyle Walker during last month’s draw in Warsaw.
The game was marred by a clash between both sets of players that was alleged to have been triggered by a racist slur from Glik towards Walker.
But a FIFA spokesperson said: ‘After a thorough assessment, which included relevant match reports, the FIFA Disciplinary Committee has decided not to open disciplinary proceedings in relation to Poland against England on 8 September, due to insufficient evidence.’
And in a fiery Twitter post, Poland team manager Jakub Kwiatkowski said: ‘In line with our position expressed from the outset, FIFA did not find grounds for disciplinary action against Kamil Glik after absurd accusations from the English federation. The case, at least on the basis of FIFA, has been closed.’
Kamil Glik grabbing Kyle Walker’s neck sparked a half-time brawl between England and Poland
Walker was left dumbfounded by Glik’s pinch but his team-mates reacted furiously soon after