Spartak Moskva vs Benfica and Genk vs Shakhtar Donetsk are among the confirmed ties on 3/4 and 10 August after the UEFA Champions League third qualifying round draw was made at the House of European Football in Nyon, Switzerland.
Scottish champions Rangers will face either Sweden’s Malmö or Finland’s HJK Helsinki in their first game on the champions path, while Slavia Praha will start out against the winners of the tie between Hungary’s Ferencváros and Žalgiris Vilnius of Lithuania. The eventual winners in this path with join Salzburg and Brøndby in the play-offs, with four group places on offer.
The league path, meanwhile, will bring Spartak Moskva and Benfica back together, the sides having each recorded home wins when they met in the 2012/13 group stage. The eventual winners in this path will go into the play-offs to meet for the two available group spots.
All teams that play in the third qualifying round are assued a place in the group stage of one of the three club competitions.
Champions path draw
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) / Omonoia FC (CYP) vs Legia Warszawa (POL) / Flora Tallinn (EST)
Lincoln Red Imps (GIB) / CFR Cluj (ROU) vs Slovan Bratislava (SVK) / Young Boys (SUI)
Olympiacos (GRE) / Neftçi PFK (AZE) vs Mura (SVN) / Ludogorets (BUL)
Kairat Almaty (KAZ) / Crvena zvezda (SRB) vs Alashkert (ARM) / Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)
Malmö (SWE) / HJK Helsinki (FIN) vs Rangers (SCO)
Ferencváros (HUN) / Žalgiris Vilnius (LTU) vs SK Slavia Praha (CZE)
- Losing teams in the champions path enter the UEFA Europa League play-offs, from which the winners reach the UEFA Europa League group stage and the losers transfer to the UEFA Europa Conference League group stage.
League path draw
PSV Eindhoven (NED) / Galatasaray (TUR) vs Celtic FC (SCO) / Midtjylland (DEN)
Spartak Moskva (RUS) vs Benfica (POR)
Genk (BEL) vs Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
Monaco (FRA) vs Rapid Wien (AUT) / Sparta Praha (CZE)
- Losing sides in the league path move into the UEFA Europa League group stage.
When are the games?
Ties take place on 3/4 and 10 August, with extra time and a penalty shoot-out if required after the second leg. Winners advance to the UEFA Champions League play-offs (draw scheduled for 2 August).
Losing sides in the league path move into the UEFA Europa League group stage. Losing teams in the champions path enter the UEFA Europa League play-offs, from which the winners reach the UEFA Europa League group stage and the losers transfer to the UEFA Europa Conference League group stage. That means every team involved in Monday’s draw will play in the group stage of one of the three competitions.
Which teams were involved in the draw?
Seven teams enter the competition in the third qualifying round, with a further 13 progressing from the second qualifying round.
How the draw worked
- There were two draws: one for the 12 teams in the champions path, the other for the eight sides in the league path.
- The draw included some teams taking part in the second qualifying round on 20/21 & 27/28 July. The higher coefficient of the two clubs involved in an undecided tie was used for the purposes of the draw.
- The teams in each draw were divided equally between seeded and unseeded sides in accordance with the club coefficient rankings.
- The balls containing the names of the seeded teams were placed in one bowl and the balls containing the unseeded sides were put into another bowl. One ball was taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle, where they were shuffled. The first team drawn will play the first leg at home.
- The UEFA administration may form groups for the draw in accordance with the principles set by the Club Competitions Committee. Clubs from the same association could not be drawn against each other. As decided by the UEFA Executive Committee, teams from Ukraine and Russia must not be drawn together.
Special COVID rules
Please be aware of the special rules applicable to the qualifying phase and play-offs of the competition due to COVID-19, which can be found here.
With regard to travelling fans being admitted to matches, more information can be found here.